- Contrary to popular belief, the “spring market” in Sarnia starts in February. The Buyers are ready in February (and want to close “in the spring”), but the Sellers all think they should wait until April or May – which of course is when EVERYONE decides to list their houses for sale. Beat the competition by getting your house right away.
- Buyers who put on winter boots, toques and mittensto go house hunting are serious! They are walking through snow, slush, & mud right now to look at homes on the market. They aren’t just tire kickers or nosy neighbours. They are motivated and ready to make a move.
- Relocations for work happen all year, the first quarter of the year seems to be the most popular. Maybe it’s the ‘new year, new start’ motto or new budgets for companies. No matter the reason, the buyer from out of town is motivated and ready to make a quick decision. Especially with the NOVA expansion, we are seeing many out of town buyers flocking to the area.
- If you have a fireplace and cozy living room or a boring backyard your house might actually look better in the winter. Furry blankets on the couch and softly scented candles might just create the ideal atmosphere for Buyers.
- Look outside today – the sun is shining, the squirrels are looking for their nuts, and buyers are getting the sudden urge to find their new home for the Spring. I know for me that once the snow melts, I suddenly have the feeling that Spring is so close even though we’re only in February. The warmer weather always brings out more buyers that missed out buying a home for last Fall.
- If you’ve invested in making your home energy efficient, winter is the perfect time to show that energy efficiency off. Potential Buyers who live in drafty houses and cringe when the gas bill arrives will undoubtedly welcome a high-efficiency furnace, new windows and attic insulation. Side note: here is a link to discover the rebates that you may qualify for when making your home more energy efficient. (www.greenon.ca)
- Fewer properties on the market means it’s easier for your home to stand out. If you’re one of only a few houses on the market in your neighbourhood, you’ll undoubtedly get morebuyers for showings which may lead to multiple offers. The stats for active homes on the market right now are mind blowing! Look at your competition right now in Sarnia – these are the only active homes on the market right now!
< $125,000 – 0
$125,000 – $200,000 – 11
$200,000 – $300,000 – 5
$300,000 – $400,000 – 12
$400,000 – $500,000 – 7
$500,000 > – 27
Think about that for a minute, there are only 62 active listings right now in Sarnia – 62!! That number is not enough for the hundreds of Buyers waiting for their dream home to come on the market.
- Money, money, money! Buyers want your house! We are seeing 6, 7, or 8 offers going in for 1 house. That means that only 1 Buyer will walk away with the winning bid and there are still 7 Buyers waiting for the next new home to hit the market. And, those Buyers already know what it is like to miss out on a house and lose – they are waiting, eager and ready to win the next multiple offer bid!
If you’re thinking about selling and want to find out what your home is worth or want to discuss the pros and cons of listing your home in the winter, get in touch. It’s never too early to start planning for your sale!